Please check out our Upcoming Events here!
It's membership time!
We are in our membership renewal period, and if you are considering rejoining or thinking about joining for the first time, please have a look at the benefits of being a member are here at this link.
If you are a Chamber of Commerce member and would like to update your information in the "Businesses" section of the website, please email us your updated information at email@example.com. We are especially looking for your website addresses!
about Greene home - recreation -
Walking Tour of Historic Greene
click for printable PDF
version with map (660 KB file)
- 25 Genesee - The Sherwood Hotel
The present building is the third hotel to stand on the site of Greene's
first tavern (and first frame building), Wattles Tavern (1803). The
original tavern was moved to 2 South Chenango Street in 1836 to make
a larger inn, The Chenango House, which was destroyed by fire in
Sherwood Hotel was built on the site shortly afterward, but was gutted
by fire in 1962. It was restored in 1982 after standing empty for 20
- 13-17 Genesee
The site of the former home, store, and land office of Elisha Smith,
the first local agent for land west of the Chenango River and the
brother-in-law of Thomas Wattles. The original building, which
was built in 1803,
the same year as Wattles Tavern, was destroyed by fire in 1849. It
was replaced in 1870 and until 1913 was the first and only department
store in the Chenango Valley. 13 Genesee Street was added on in the
late 1930s when the building was used as a funeral home.
- Memorial Park
Built in 1904 as a memorial to Civil War dead, the park originally
included a public water trough at the eastern end, providing welcome
to most horses, dogs and other animals crossing the bridge into Greene.
Monuments to veterans of all wars up to the Vietnam War have been
added, as well as a time capsule in 1992.
- The Chenango River Bridge
The first bridge over the Chenango River was built in 1807 as part
of the construction of the Susquehanna-Bath Turnpike. Before the
was erected, settlers were forced to ford the river, raft across,
or negotiate a tricky, floating log bridge built by Indians.
- 2 Washington
Built by Joseph Juliand, the son of Captain Joseph Juliand, this
pre-Victorian home, with its expansive wrap-around porch overlooking
the river, was
built in the early 1830s.
- 4 Washington - The Depot
Built in 1914 on the site of a former saw and grist mill, this is Greene's "new" depot.
The original depot building across the way on Cherry Street was replaced
in 1996 with a medical center.
- 2 Juliand
The fit who choose to climb the Washington Street hill will find
Greene's oldest home, The (Captain Joseph) Juliand House, at the
corner of Juliand
and Washington Streets, overlooking the eastern entrance to the village.
Built in 1810, the house originally served as an inn. The kitchen
door, which is stored in the basement of this 19 room home, still
scars sustained during an Indian attack in the 1800s.
- 1 Washington
This 19-room Italianate home was built in 1851 for William Russell
and his wife, the daughter of Joseph Juliand. The site was previously
to a toll house where, from 1807 until 1838, a gate-keeper collected
tolls from all those crossing over the bridge to the village.
- 10 N. Chenango - The Zion Episcopal Church
This classic Gothic-style church was built in 1887. More than half
of the cost of the church was donated by J. H. Sherwood, for whom
Sherwood Hotel was named.
- 15 N. Chenango is the oldest home on the north side of Birdsall
Brook, having been occupied as early as 1875.
- 17 N. Chenango
Built in 1851 this 1 1/2 story Gothic Revival home, with its distinctive,
ornate bargeboards and cross gable, belonged in 1868 to Col. Joseph
Juliand, the grandson of Captain Joseph Juliand.
- 32 N. Chenango
Near the south side of Birdsall Brook, Stephen Ketchum, Greene's
first settler built his log house in 1792, later replacing it with
house. In 1926, this brick house was built on the site of Ketchum's
original frame house.
North Canal Street
- The Chenango Canal ran between North Canal Street
and the cemetery, where Greene's first settler Stephen Ketchum was
buried in 1810. Many
of the houses on North Canal Street were moved there from other locations
after the canal was closed in 1877 and later filled in.
- 59 Genesee - The Moore Memorial Library
Built in 1903 by the family of Nathaniel F. Moore, the library was
originally planned to be a memorial to the war dead. By the time
was finished, however, Memorial Park had been established, so the
library instead became a memorial to the Moore family. The building,
is representative of Beaux Art architecture, cost the family $130,000
including a $50,000 endowment. The second floor houses a museum of
- 49 & 51 -The Municipal Building (49 Genesee)
Built atop the old canal bed, this was originally the Greene Fire Department,
which also housed an opera house on the second floor. The first "moving
picture" was shown in the opera house in 1915. The top of the
building is graced with the striking town clock and a weather vane.
Whether the bird atop the weather vane is a goose or an eagle remains
in dispute. Greene is, however, situated directly in the flyway of
migrating Canadian geese, which are far more common to the area than
are eagles. The Eaton Block (51 Genesee), which houses the town offices,
was built in 1899.
- 41 Genesee
The street's oldest wood frame building, serving as the Post Office
until 1991, was doing business as early as 1821 and miraculously
two disasterous fires, the first of which wiped out all the wood
buildings west of it to the Chenango Canal in 1848. The second
fire, in 1885,
did greater damage still, destroying all the replacement buildings
and those beyond to Canal Street.
- 62 Genesee
Crossing to the north side of Genesee Street, four, two-story business
blocks were constructed between 1882 and 1884 on the former canal
basin. The Rosekran building boasts a stamped sheet-iron facade,
one of the
few of its kind still in existence.
- 46 Genesee
The Empire Block was built in 1849 and was originally a piano factory,
with the Chenango American newspaper offices housed on the second
floor. The Page Seed Company, one of Greene's oldest surviving
started on the third floor of the building in 1896, but outgrew the
quarters by 1902.
- 42 Genesee
The unique raised entrance into this shop reminds us that construction
of the Chenango Canal raised the water table in the downtown area
to about 3 feet below ground level. The raised steps were necessary
permit construction above the water table.
- 34 Genesee
This building was built in 1875 after a fire destroyed the previous
- 32 Genesee
The Badger Building served as a drug store for over 100 years, so
it is perhaps appropriate that it now is home to Greene's only
- 30 Genesee
The Hotchkiss and Driscall building was continuously operated as
a hardware store from 1854 until 1997, and now houses a restaurant.
- 28 Genesee
The site of the Corner Restaurant was occupied from 1807 until an
1843 fire by a general store, after which it was replaced by the
South Chenango Street
- 2 S. Chenango
This building is the oldest frame structure in Greene, the original Wattles
Tavern, moved to this location from the site of the Sherwood Hotel
- 56 S. Chenango -Gowongo Mohawk
An Indian princess, Carolina (Carrie) Mohawk lived in this house
as a child. She later became an actress, often portraying Indian
the then popular road shows.
- 17 Willard St. - The Ribbon Mill
Operated as a silk mill from 1917 to present, the Ribbon Mill is now
one of only two mills in the United States manufacturing hat bands
and is the only mill in the nation designing its own patterns for the
Greater Greene Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 441
Greene, NY 13778
last Tuesday of the month 5:30 PM at the town hall
at 51 Genessee Street in Greene
Village of Greene
49 Genesee Street
Greene, NY 13778
Town of Greene
51 Genesee Street
PO Box 129
Greene, NY 13778
Greene Central School District (607) 656-4161
40 S. Canal St.
Greene, NY 13778